Vets Warn Dog Owners Of The Dangers Of Marrow Bones

Yikes! Dog owners beware! We all love to buy our dogs bones to chew on, but a new warning is being issued about marrow bones from Wasson Memorial Veterinary Clinic. As you can clearly see, the dog in this photo has a bone stuck over its lower jaw (how the bone got over those teeth is rather mind boggling

marrow bones

This situation is rather serious, though, and it is happening more and more! Firefighters in North York Canada were called by a woman asking them to help her dog, Ginger, in a similar situation. The woman had been on her way to the emergency vet but stopped at the fire hall instead.

marrow bones

Related image

Ginger wasn’t in distress so the fire crew made sure she got to the Willowdale Animal Hospital safely and the vet was able to remove the bone with a Dremel. The problem is that once the bone gets stuck on the lower jaw, the fangs hold it in place and the lips swell, and it locks in place.

marrow bones

Before putting the dog under anesthesia, vets will try to wiggle it off – if that doesn’t work, they cut the bone apart. The bones also can break teeth or split. If they split, your dog could have serious stomach problems. So, choose bones wisely.

marrow bones

If you do decide to give your dog a marrow bone, don’t’ leave them unattended with them. Pick the bones up when you leave so your dog is safe and happy while you are gone.

Share away, people.

Source: http://animals-daily.us/2017/06/29/vets-warn-dog-owners-of-the-dangers-of-marrow-bones/