Most of the time having a few plants in your home is very refreshing and healthy. However, not many people are aware of the dangers some of them can cause. In this short article you will find out about a tragic case that will open your eyes and choose carefully whit what kind of plants you will decorate your home.
“Please read this carefully. My son died because he put a piece of leaf in his mouth. This plant is very common in many homes and offices. It is deadly poisonous and dangerous, to the point of killing a child in 1 minute and an adult in 15 minutes. If you touch it by chance you should never bring your fingers to your eyes, as this could cause permanent blindness. Warn your friends and family.”
It was just another normal day; the little 5-year-old Esteban was playing in the house. All of a sudden he came to his mother and complain he didn’t feel so good. His mother thought that was just some indigestion or fatigue. However, shortly after she noticed that his color of the skin was starting to change and had difficulty in breathing.
She quickly called the ambulance and her child was rushed to the hospital. In the moments of great distress, no, one knew what was really happening.
Only after 1/2 hour later, the doctor came out of the emergency room to inform the mother that her son had died from poisoning. She was in shock, she had no idea what he could have eaten.
After the autopsy it was determined that the cause of the poisoning was a large dose of a chemical called calcium oxalate.
This chemical is found in the plant called Diefenbaker or better known as Amoena. It is often used as a house plant because of its look and the great resistance / hardness it has. This plant mustn’t be kept in places where children live. It doesn’t look dangerous, but is extremely poisons.
Data from 2006 in the United States, which registered 64,250 cases of poisoning with plants, of which 75% were children under 5 years.
In such case, the National Library of Medicine of the United States recommends to use a clean, cold water to rinse the mouth and eyes and wipe them with a wet cloth. Then consume a small quantity of mil. Furthermore, it is of great importance to see a doctor as soon as possible.
Do not forget to share so that everyone will know about this plant and the dangers they can cause.